Vir's Archive

Saturday, July 19, 2014

Reflections on part 1, part 1.



sac·ri·fice
ˈsakrəˌfīs/
noun
  1. 1.
    an act of slaughtering an animal or person or surrendering a possession as an offering to God or to a divine or supernatural figure.
    "they offer sacrifices to the spirits"
    synonyms:ritual slaughter, offering, oblation, immolation 


Some WIP art of Arrious and a "friend" by Eric Quigley
So, I have been on self-imposed writing hiatus for about two months now and only just restarted.  There are a lot of reasons for this... primarily among them is the fact that part 2 of Precipice was turning out to be a chore and not flowing as well as part 1.  I took a couple days to rally work on why that was -- and asked a few of the people that were reading my work for their insights.  The conclusion we came to was that my vision for part 2 wasnt near as clear as what I had for part 1.  This, I guess, was natural.  Part 1 was rolling around in my head for years... while part 2 was developing organically from the foundation of part 1.

So, with that knowledge in mind, I decided to take some time off and allow my ideas for part 2 simmer.  This coincided nicely with the fact that my time in Sri Lanka was rapidly coming to a close and a huge move (with the whole family) loomed.  I needed to focus on preparations, setting affairs in order, saying good by, and packing... not to mention a lot of traveling by air and car.  In the ample amount of stolen time here and there, I mulled over part 2.

In the interim, I visited Ireland, saw some cool castles, and made it back to the States with all its amazing amenities.

Part 1 was all about establishing baselines.  We now know the Car'Had members and have a fairly god idea about their motivations and capabilities.  Part 2 needs to be putting that all to the test.  Jarious is a leader, as established in part 1 -- why is that important?  What does he do with those skills?  Most importantly, how does he deal with the dark ignorances of his life?  At its core, Precipice is about sacrifices and the things people have to do in order to cope with their decisions made in light of those sacrifices.

Sacrifice, as my wise wife reminds me, isnt a sacrifice if there isnt discomfort and, yes, pain involved.

pain
pān/
noun
  1. 1.
    physical suffering or discomfort caused by illness or injury.
    "she's in great pain"
    synonyms:suffering, agony, torture, torment, discomfort 



  2. 2.
    careful effort; great care or trouble.
    "she took pains to see that everyone ate well"
    synonyms:care, effort, bother, trouble

And that was my revelation and a rekindling of the fire in my belly to write.  Part 2 is about pain.  I'm 52,000 words into this beast, and its time for the wolflings to experience the pain of their sacrifice.  There will be a cost to their actions.

There will be victory, death, small "G" gods, betrayal, paranoia, and destruction.  Stay tuned, after I do some editing, I'll post a chapter or two.

Funny, that also seems appropriate to the act of writing part 2. 

No comments:

Post a Comment